Friday, February 18, 2011

Minimal Me

I am not a journalist, certainly not a writer, but an artist and teacher. However, I have found it fitting to start a second blog. Apparently one web based venue for public typos was just not enough. Seriously though, as my Middleland project evolves towards completion later this year, writing about that series becomes less crucial.  I suppose Topical Fast is related to my studio projects, projects that have a lot to do with consumption, and my/our addiction to it. In essence, this blog is a small social experiment to see how much I/we can do without. I have been feeling somewhat spoiled lately having a good job, abundant food, a warm house, caring friends and a great man. These gifts should not be taken for granted.

Topical Fast will explore a series of completely voluntary states of self denial. I will forego different creature comforts and privileges related to life in the 21st century. Some options to give up relate to diet, the environment, entertainment, technology or anything that may improve one's health and spirit. I expect to both succeed and fail, as any recovering addict may do. It is not about winning as it is not a contest, but more about gaining discipline, power, mindfulness and health.

I want to invite any reader to submit ideas for abstinence, related readings or links, and to join me as I attempt this public journey of self-improvement. Additionally, I want to welcome guest contributors to write for the blog, topics can be submitted via blog comments or emailed to movanart@gmail.com.

Come give up with me.
Thank you!

Detail image of Meditation Device
fabric, drain and polyfil, 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment